Employing a great advertising technique can bring the difference between a poor turnout and be successful in attracting many people to your event. The good thing is that advertising and promotion of events have been made to be easier because of the internet and social media. To be successful in promoting an event, you will need to use a number of aspects of advertising which include: networking, online advertising, and social media. You have to be consistent and prepare well in order to create a campaign that can bring people from all walks of life to your event.
- Promoting through media
The following are some of the ways you can use in promoting your event:
- Writing a press release and disseminating it in local media outlets: Your press release to be shared within the local media has to contain a catchy headline, the brief summary about the event and all the other relevant information that you would want your target audience to see so that they can show up in your event. Don’t forget to include your contact information in the press release.
- Taking out ads in local newspapers and magazines: Don’t just take out ads in newspapers and magazines, which your audience might not read. Instead, find out the kind of newspapers and magazines that your audience is likely to read and then place your ads there. You should describe the event in a manner that people are able to know what you are talking about and you should also include relevant images that can be appealing to the audience.
- Organize an interview with local radio station: The first thing to do is to get in contact with different radio stations in order to know which one can be interested in interviewing you about your event. If you happen to get the opportunity to be interviewed, you will have to prepare a list that has everything that you will want to share with your audience. Make sure that you speak clearly so that your audience can hear you and understand what you are saying. When you are done, give them your contact information.
- Sending event invites to your email list: At the start of your campaign, send an email to everyone in your contacts list letting them know that you are planning a certain In the message of the email, you have to include the event, date, time, location and any other relevant information you would want your audience to know. This should then be followed up by another email reminding them of the event when it’s only a few days away.
- Tell new people you meet about your event: As you move around looking for ways to market your event, you can bump into new people, who you can talk to about your event without being afraid. If you have flyers that you carry around, don’t hesitate to give them if they show interest. Just tell them that you think the event will be exciting and that if they find the time they can show up.
- Ask your friends and your family members to help you promote the event: You can tell them to mention it to their friends and their friends to tell their friends.
- Advertising on social media
The following are ways of advertising it through social media:
- Tweeting about the event: Create a tweet about your event and post it on twitter for your followers to see. The tweets should have the relevant information about the event. It’s important to include a link to the website of the event so that followers can easily access information about the event.
- Coming up with a hashtag for the event and use it in your social media posts: After tweeting about your event anytime, make sure that at the end of the tweet, you put a hashtag. People tweeting about the event will use it and thus help you promote your event.
- Making a Facebook event and sharing it with your friends: When you create a Facebook event, you have to include some details like the type of event and when and where it will be. You should also mention how much it cost and who will be entertaining guests at the event.
Blogs are reliable sources of information, therefore they can be a good way of marketing your event. The following are reasons why you should use blogging as your marketing tool:
- Puts a human face on your event: Blogging is an informal way of marketing which adds the human touch to and creating a two-way conversation between you and your target group. This informs them of your brand and what they should expect when it comes to the event day. This makes them be excited at the prospect of coming to the event and getting to witness what they read in real life.
- Creates fresh content on your website: Your participant will visit your site on a regular basis to register, and you will want to give them a reason as to why they should visit your site now and again. You can do that by regularly updating your content.
- Generates buzz and excitement leading up to your event: Blogging helps keep attendees on toes. Regular updates of your blog about event preparations, having interviews with several speakers will create excitement and attendees will look forward to the day of the event.
- Sending event invites to your email list
At the start of your campaign, send an email to everyone in your contacts list letting them know that you are planning a certain event. In the message of the email, you have to include the event, date, time, location and any other relevant information you would want your audience to know. This should then be followed up by another email reminding them of the event when it’s only a few days away.